Recipe courtesy of: "Nanzina's Recipe Swap"
1 roasting chicken, cleaned
1 head of garlic, cut in half horizontally
½ lemon, cut in half
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
3-4 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped (to put under the skin)
2 extra sprigs of rosemary, (for under the chicken during roasting)
Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper (to season the cavity)
1 tbsp olive oil
½ large red onion, cut in wedges
2 large carrots, peeled and halved length-wise and then cut in thirds across
2 large parsnips, peeled and halved length-wise and then cut in thirds across
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C
2. To prepare a chicken for roasting, I do some additional cleaning of the bird, removing any pin feathers left and taking out that huge lump of fat.
3. Season the cavity with salt and pepper and put 2 rosemary sprigs, garlic and lemon quarters in the cavity. Gently separate the skin from the breast of the chicken and put the chopped rosemary under the skin). Tie the legs together and pin the wings under the bird.
4. Line a small roasting pan with foil (you don’t have to, but clean up is so much easier). Prepare a bed for the chicken: - place the other 2 rosemary sprigs, carrots, parsnips and onions on the foil, spritz a little olive oil and place the lemon & onion slices plus the rosemary leaves.
5. Lay the chicken, breast side up top.Brush with olive oil and sprinkle a little salt for really crispy skin.
6. Roast for about 1 hour and test with a meat thermometer - It’s ready at 180°F/77°. Depending on the size of the chicken, it could take up to another 30 minutes.
7. Place the chicken on a platter and cover with aluminum foil for 15 minutes or so. It keeps the chicken juicy.